Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Travelogue on - Munnar

Munnar - breathtakingly beautiful - a haven of peace and tranquility - the idyllic tourist destination in God's own country. Set at an altitude of 6000 ft from sea level located in Idukki district, Munnar was the favored summer resort of the erstwhile British rulers in the colonial days. Unending expanse of tea plantations - The misty mountains and valleys, the whispering wilds and the refreshing drizzles are a tourists' delight at any time of the year. The mountain slopes are a nicely laden green carpet of evergreen tea plantations inter-spaced by murmuring jungle streams, winding roads and Pathways.

The misty nights and the sound of silence of this high altitude mountains and valleys blessed with mother nature's riches flora and fauna make it a true paradise on earth. The satin smooth grass lands which are the abode of the rare species of wild goats known as Nilgiri Tahrs and herds of wild elephants grazing elegantly across the jungle slopes add to the splendour of this mesmerizing landscape.

Now let me begin with the beginning of my tryst with this lovely place.

It was the month of August. And it was going to be my first trip to God's Own Country. Although I had a feeling that hill stations was never the USP of Kerala. Rather it is known for its beaches, Ayurvedic spas, backwaters, Kathakali etc etc. Nevertheless I was excited and was waiting eagerly at Madivala in Bangalore to board a bus with my friend. Eventually I boarded the bus(2x2 semi sleeper) and after waking for few hours, finally dozed off. When in the morning I woke up, I could found lots of greenery outside. So I thought Welcome to God's own country. But later I realized that I was being too premature in reaching conclusions. We were still in Tamil Nadu and Border was far and Munnar further. After some time we were asked to switch to a mini bus. The reason was that only mini bus goes till Munnar. Read full Travelogue on Munnar..

No comments: